Saturday, August 18, 2012

New TV Stand, Part 1


We moved into our house *just* over one year ago.  It sure doesn't seem like it's been that long!  Anyways, the previous owners left a bunch of furniture for us.  Some of it was nice, like the double bed with headboard and the two dressers.  Some of it was....not as nice.  Like this monster of an entertainment center.
I was pretty focused on the wedding, which was in May, so there it sat for a long, long time.  Every time I sat down to watch tv (usually HGTV, of course!) I would think, "ugh, that's so ugly!"  But like most new homeowners/almost newlyweds, I had neither the time or the energy to make anything happen.

I was, however, able to go to a ton of garage sales last spring!  I found this beauty for $5!!
(I have to remember to take a real 'before' picture of these things) 
This is after I gave it a good sand and had taken the two doors, all the shelves and all the hardware off:


 This guy sat in my garage for a good 3 months while I was busy planning the wedding and making things for the wedding and thinking about the wedding and pinning more things to make for the wedding.  I was so excited to get moving on this project after being so wedding focused for so long!  Anyways, it was originally that nasty, fake laminate wood stuff.  Not pretty.

Another not pretty, the molding along the top was loose.  It looks like someone tried to fix it but the screw (or the hole maybe?) was stripped.


Rather than try to fix it the, ahem, correct way (like, actually using power tools and putting a new screw in) I pulled out my handy-dandy contact cement.  I think I use it too much....this bottle is almost empty!

After I let it dry, overnight I think.  I took too long to write this post that I don't remember time frames.  I do know that I would do one step (or part of a step) and then I'd leave it either overnight or maybe for a few days...or a week maybe.  Hey, I'm busy!

Alright, let's get back on track here.  Next step, primer.  I bought glidden gripper primer and painted on 2 coats after sanding.  I think you can paint without sanding (I keep seeing it on Pinterest at least) but in my mind, roughing up the slick laminate will make the paint stick better.  I don't want to do all this work just to have the pretty new paint slide off!

After priming.  Looking better, but not quite there yet.

Don't forget to prime the shelves and doors!

I primed the cardboard back too.  I knew I didn't want it open to the back so I just wanted to reuse this back.  If you look close you can see that I was too lazy to even take the little nails out.  I just painted right over those suckers.

After the primer dried, I painted.  It's hard to see but the backs are actually green, not white.  Both colors came from leftover paint cans in the basement.  Thank you previous homeowners for leaving all the paint colors that are in the house!! (Except the pepto pink you put in the dining room.  That I could have lived without)

And here is where I took a long pause.  I was waiting for more inspiration, since I knew I didn't want to leave it plain white.

So stay tuned for the rest of the magical transformation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment