Sunday, March 17, 2013

DIY Scarf Hanger

It seems lately that all my projects start with..."I saw this pin on Pinterest..."
But it's true!  I get so much inspiration (PINspiration?) from Pinterest.  I just can't help it!
Anywho, I have seen a lot of DIY scarf holders from shower curtain rings, and I always think, "I have extra shower curatin rings" I also have this unhealthy obsession with scarves.  I buy them whenever I see them, especially at garage sales and estate sales.  You just find the coolest vintage scarves there!
It wouldn't be so much of a problem if I actually wore them more often.  But I don't.  They stay in my closet and I forget that I have them.

So I thought, maybe if I had a nice way to display them I will see them and then wear them and then not feel so guilty about buying more.  Because I know I will buy more.  I just can't help myself!!

So I found my shower curtain rings, left from when we moved in and the previous owners had them in the bathroom.  I washed them (ok, I wiped them down with lysol wipes...actually washing was too much effort) and then I had this.  A pile of rings.

Enter the glue gun and an extra plastic hanger!  (the cell phone is just to keep the hanger from sliding on the table)
I glued the rings in a line to the bottom of the hanger, my OCD compelled me to put them all facing the same way.  I also didn't want the scarves to catch in the spot where the rings hook together.


As I attached the rings, I glued them to the hanger and to each other, for more stability.  It was a little tricky gluing them and keeping them straight and not have them stick to my coffee table.  In hindsight, I probably should have put some wax paper underneath, but at the time that was just one too many steps :)


Then I glued one more row underneath.  I was just ONE ring shore of being able to make an even row, so I added it to the bottom.  Again, OCD made me do it.


The ones that I have seen on Pinterest have either a little bit of ribbon tied around the rings, just to cover the part where the rings hook together, but that wasn't sufficient for me.  I decided that I wanted to whole thing covered.
So I found some leftover ribbon and wound and wound and wound and wound it around, gluing every so often so it wouldn't slip and all my hard work would stay where I put it!

I ran out of yellow ribbon with two and a third rings left.  It couldn't be an even number, oh no.  Two and a THIRD.  It will be mostly covered up anyways, and maybe it adds a little 'extra' interest...maybe?



So here it is hanging up with all my scarves!  I really like how it turned out, even though it was a lot of work to put the ribbon around everything, I know that the scarves won't snag on anything when I take them out and put them back in.



I still haven't worn them any more often than before, but at least they look pretty now!  Maybe I'll find another craft to use them for.... heeeeeey Pinterest!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment